Sometimes you win some; sometimes you lose some. Sometimes, you just hit things somewhere in the middle (I hate black & white scenarios).
Socially naive once, I have little reason to believe I am any better since. People have usually had to illustrate to me when I’m being hit on. And until I quit imposing my own thoughts upon others’ perceptions of myself, it’s probably not going to change.
Working with a newer fluorescent molecule on the fluorimeter today, I wanted to verify the (old) solutions of it were all the same thing1. Just running a typical emission profile on the same dilution of each to make sure they were similar concentrations of the same compound. Averaging five repeat spectra for each, I noticed the emission intensity was dropping a bit after the first pass, so obviously there is some concern for photobleaching.
Considering some of my planned assays are looking at 5–10 minutes long for the kinetics to reach equilibrium, I wanted to see what I was working with in terms of photobleaching. Perfect time to take lunch! I setup a 1 hour scan—albeit probably overkill—to look at the time frame & extent of photobleaching. Coming back from lunch, I was a bit confused…
Granted, this is all normalized against a stable section of the scan (35–45 minutes in), but I wasn’t expecting that obvious of a signal drift, considering the lamp had been warmed up for an hour before even the multi-pass emission scans before!
I’m slightly concerned because (a) these are within the scope/timeframe of the kinetics that I’m looking at, and (b) this is likely an issue with the excitation source, either the power supplying it, or the bulb itself.
Either way, I’m a little concerned about this. I’m not looking forward to having to examine the full length of time needed for signal stabilization (if it can be stabilized at all, presuming it’s not a power supply/line issue). What I really need is some sort of an internal control I can use, especially considering I have two detectors at my disposal. I was attempting to find out if I can use the RCQC signal to measure variance in this, but in some subsequent scans I saw no correlated signal variation in it with the signal drift. However, the drift I saw may have been poorly characterized kinetics for the proteins involved.
Soooooooooooo, yeahhhhhhhh…fun times. *sighs*
1These came from an older time with other students in the lab, so there are some “hazy” (if not completely absent) details about them.
Poor Victoria has been attempting to slowly kick the bucket over the years. I already had to replace the power supply in the Mac Pro once before, and she’s been running solidly since. With the exception of my WiFi signal to the router upstairs in my landlord’s part of the house. If you follow me on Twitter, then you’ve likely seen at least one of my outbursts over the shitty connectivity I used to have with it (and in doing so, ruining the connectivity for the rest of my apartment unit).