July rolls around and it’s another month come and gone. June has gone by in a virtual sort of blink; searching for a new apartment, trying to get back into a groove in the lab, finishing up couples counseling and starting the packing process have caused things to fly along much faster than anticipated. There has been more going on lately, but I’ll separate that into a few other posts for the sake of sparing people too much information in a single post.

I sank nearly a week of time into apartment hunting, only to see a handful of mediocre complex apartments before finding a nice privately owned/operated place above a work office. Throughout that process, I realized I wasn’t nearly aggressive enough in my apartment hunting habits, passing over places with lacking information or less than ideal “descriptions” of the domicile, leading me into misinformed assumptions of what the properties looked like.

Thankfully, my friend Liz excels at this game of cat & mouse while apartment hunting and pushed me into the aggressive mode (at least for me, that is). As a consequence, I’ve settled on a huge, spacious two bedroom apartment on the second floor of a building just off of Elmwood, and even settling for a few dollars lower than the original asking rent to help me along while I’m running on a more limited monthly budget. Even in this process, however, I came across some other fairly nice properties that I probably would not have seen in the first place. I nearly took a one bedroom unit on the third floor of a house for a hundred or so less a month. Regardless, I can’t thank Liz enough for assisting and pushing me in finding a new residence, despite the fact she was on vacation in Oregon at the time. Yikes!

Lab work has been less than reasonably industrious. I really felt bad about asking my PI for time off to go back for my ten year reunion in just under two weeks from now. I will really have to make up for the nearly two week absence I will be taking in order to offset that, and get things ready and done for my committee meeting this fall. The latest purification of my protein of interest has not been nearly as smooth sailing as the original literature purification method suggests. Regardless, I’m hopefully in the final bouts of my purification run for a large batch; I just need to clean up a few additional buggers that co-purified with my own protein. Thank god for the FPLC, but unfortunately our new columns for the ÄKTA won’t be here soon enough to use a fresh/untainted column for this work. I’m hoping the sub-par HiTrap Capto S can provide the resolution I need at this stage of my purification.