So it is a pretty certain thing I’m fighting something off now. I’ve got the mucus of questionable color, and it definitely is exuding itself in a drainage-styled fashion. That, and I started out the day with a mild headache1, but man it’s turned into a monster since then2. At least I am now setup with some lemon/ginger/clove tincture for now, and use that to help ease the throat and system altogether through tomorrow.

In better news, I finally got to checking on the fermenting3 wine in the basement. Apparently it halted itself quite nicely around a S.G. of 0.996 or so (I didn’t do the temperature adjustment). Being that it’s essentially cleared at the moment, I almost wonder if I couldn’t bottle it as is without the last additive packet. I’m sure there’s some necessary components that do need to be added (e.g. some metabisulfite perhaps?), but a quick taste test of the wine seemed pretty good as is! A hint sweeter than I was expecting for a grigio, but we’ll see how that tastes after aging a bit. Now, I just need to muster up the energy to add the clarifying solution and give it another week to do its job before racking the wine into bottles.


1Took a single dose of ibuprofen just to help tame it and any nasal inflammation, hopefully. Unfortunately, I didn’t bring any follow up doses and the initial dose wore out mid-afternoon.
2We are talking full double dose (800mg) and it’s barely taming the headache to something more manageable. NOT COOL.
3Or more likely not fermenting; the yeast had nearly completely settled out of the must by the time I got back from my vacation to visit the parents at the beginning of October. It looked pretty apparent the yeast was done doing its job. I was concerned at that point that maybe the wine got a little too dry.

I’s got a wine kit!

I just stopped by Niagara Traditions Homebrew Supply after work today and picked up a full-set home winemaking equipment kit, with a starter kit of Pinot Grigio to get it going with. My roommate and I discussed this venture a month or so ago, and I finally made a mental note to get on the ball with that and pick up the necessary materials. Now that those are in hand, I’m (almost) ready to go! Just not this evening; starting (and fermenting) temperature needs to be between 65˚F and 75˚F. Today was a bit warm for that, so that will have to come tomorrow.

In other random news, I’m a lazy bum and haven’t shaved in just over a week. I think I’m going to keep up with this plan of action until a) I get too annoyed with the long facial hair and have to trim/shave it down, or b) someone finally calls me an unkempt louse. I’m kind of curious to see how much red is in my beard. Downside is I’m seeing how many white hairs I’m growing from my face already.

Also, going to a stripper-less stag party on Thursday evening. Kind of glad for this; the last stag party I went to (and first ever attended) had a pair of strippers. I can see the appeal for some guys. It’s just not my cup of tea!

Transmission aborting. Early evening deluge is covering transmission equipment with stray water!