So it is a pretty certain thing I’m fighting something off now. I’ve got the mucus of questionable color, and it definitely is exuding itself in a drainage-styled fashion. That, and I started out the day with a mild headache1, but man it’s turned into a monster since then2. At least I am now setup with some lemon/ginger/clove tincture for now, and use that to help ease the throat and system altogether through tomorrow.
In better news, I finally got to checking on the fermenting3 wine in the basement. Apparently it halted itself quite nicely around a S.G. of 0.996 or so (I didn’t do the temperature adjustment). Being that it’s essentially cleared at the moment, I almost wonder if I couldn’t bottle it as is without the last additive packet. I’m sure there’s some necessary components that do need to be added (e.g. some metabisulfite perhaps?), but a quick taste test of the wine seemed pretty good as is! A hint sweeter than I was expecting for a grigio, but we’ll see how that tastes after aging a bit. Now, I just need to muster up the energy to add the clarifying solution and give it another week to do its job before racking the wine into bottles.
1Took a single dose of ibuprofen just to help tame it and any nasal inflammation, hopefully. Unfortunately, I didn’t bring any follow up doses and the initial dose wore out mid-afternoon.
2We are talking full double dose (800mg) and it’s barely taming the headache to something more manageable. NOT COOL.
3Or more likely not fermenting; the yeast had nearly completely settled out of the must by the time I got back from my vacation to visit the parents at the beginning of October. It looked pretty apparent the yeast was done doing its job. I was concerned at that point that maybe the wine got a little too dry.
Apparently running in Friday’s (rather) brisk weather is catching back up to me1. Between the heavy exercise load throughout nearly all of last week, and a wretchedly short night of sleep last night, a tickle has been arising in the back of my throat that could not be halted. Like, a tickle turned into a thickish, annoying drainage by the end of the day, and I’ve now consumed three cups of hot tea in an attempt to soothe it all.
The beast does not wish to be tamed…
I pray that I can kick this before it turns into anything more wretched. And on that note, I should likely turn in for the night.
P.S. – Need to purchase fresh ginger, lemons for tincture preparation!
P.P.S. – No attempts at dates or games this week; not sure if I’d be at my finest staving off an URI.
1Not to mention my left knee is still acting up. It does fine at the start of the day, but by the time I’m getting home, it’s popping unnecessarily going up the stairs to the apartment and fairly uncomfortable.
- Fucked up my left knee from biking all week to/from work, and running 5K distances on Mon/Wed/Fri. Shin splints are the devil…
- Got to drink 59-year-old Canadian Club (bottled 1961, apparently) Friday night
- Got a splitting headache Saturday morning from said whiskey
- Went to another ComedySportz and IMF double-header Saturday night
- Want to throw out my old MacBook Pro as the battery is finally shot, and it’s failing horribly at playing 720p mkv streams that it used to handle no-problemo
- It’s apparently summer again; 70˚ temperatures most of the week? What the fuck?
- Got to see the Canisius College Chorale perform! And got to see it inside Blessed Trinity church; it’s a very glamorous interior, dang!
- Baking some apple crisp in my deep-dish ceramic pie dish finally did it in, after the crack it acquired from Holly’s old trip of putting it through the dishwasher
- I STILL ATE THE APPLE CRISP, ‘CAUSE IT WAS DAMN GOOD!
- Still raging over some idiotic journaling over at The Chronicle because of bad math based on data over at the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which was then further propogated by Gizmodo, and no one has even bothered to comment about how messed up the numbers are! There are not 5000 janitors in the US with PhD’s. There are ~215 (if they used the 2008 BLS numbers) with PhD’s, while ~5000 of them have a Bachelor’s degree or higher degree
I’ll get photo evidence of some of these endeavors up tomorrow, once I pull them off my phone. DONE!
In the meantime, I have bigger fish to fry: I have some sleep to catch up on, and a barista I need to attempt to ask out (in a sense) this week and some luck to try to obtain, apparently.